First and foremost, let me say
the DA staff and admins have been outstanding. These are good hard working people. They are all truly dedicated to making this a place for artists of all levels and interests and I honestly don't know how they do it. The task they face daily must seem overwhelming at times and yet they just keep plowing forward to make it a better site for everyone.
How they are able to deal with all the varied interests and agendas I see on here is beyond me.
I salute DA, the staff, and admins for a thankless job so very well done.
Tonight I am announcing "Pelicanh" will be gone
or rather moving to a new DA page. My gallery will be taken down.
There are many reasons for this.
1) I now have 197 people I have had to block.
2) I can't even allow comments because I don't have time to weed out the flamers and trolls, block them, and hide their comments. To those who say,"Well, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you can't stand criticism, then don't post your photos on line"
. just let me say simply FUCK OFF.
Some ass hat writing a comment like, "Your model should be taken out back and shot like the whore dog she is" is not anything I'm going to tolerate no matter where I am.
Say anything about me personally - fine... but say something awful about my models and the Pelican will peck your freakin eyes out.
3) I feel like an old fart in an arcade full of gamers. When I look at the front page, I don't see people who share MY type of art. I see ponies, kitties, gamers, anime, hentai, and cosplay. Furthermore, I have been to a few DA functions and it's just weird. I'm DEFINITELY out of place there. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some AMAZING art here
incredible anime, wild cosplay, and cool fractal stuff. While I can admire it as an art form, it doesn't interest me in the least. I'm not on a web site where people discuss Jazz, or knitting, or pottery. I admire the art forms but I have other interests.
4) I'm also tired of seeing my images stolen from here. Yea, yea, I know
no matter where I go they will be stolen, but I'm not going to post as much as I have here. I got an email from a girl last week who was upset because her photo was being used by a site in Vegas advertising hookers. Stolen, no doubt from here because this is the ONLY place it is posted on line.
5) I have some upcoming projects that are going to be taking more of my time. Possibly a book. Possibly getting a rep for my images. Time is money and I spend too much of it here with no return on my investment other than the fun of being here. Fun is good but it doesn't pay my mortgage.
My new DA account will be Squid326. It's already set up and will go into effect tonight.
Please don't ask me to reinstate my gallery. While I appreciate the thought, I respectfully say, "It just ain't gonna happen".
I'll still be here.. just lurking in the shadows!!!!!
Time for an Asahi beer!
PS you can find me and my images on Google+, Facebook (under Michael Helms Headshot Photography), Twitter (under MichaelLHelms) (follow me!!), or go to my web site www.michaelhelms.com, OR.... for photography teaching www.digitalphotoABC.com
whew... beer time.